Last Updated on April 18, 2020 by admin
Ayurveda’s immunity boosting measures for self care during COVID 19 crisis
We all know that prevention is better than cure. although there is no medicine for COVID-19 yet, it will be better to take preventive measures and boost your immune power.
In the wake of the Covid 19 outbreak, entire mankind across the globe is suffering. Enhancing the body’s natural defence system plays an important role in maintaining optimal health.
Ayurveda, being the science of life, promotes the gifts of nature to stay healthy and happy. Preventive care knowledge of Ayurveda, derives from the concepts of “Dinacharya” – daily routine and “Ritucharya” – seasonal regime to maintain healthy life. It is a plant-based science. Ease of self awareness and the harmony each individual can achieve by improving and maintaining his or her immunity is emphasized across Ayurveda’s classical scriptures.
Ministry of AYUSH recommended the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health.
I General Measures
1. Drink warm water throughout the day.
2. Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes.
3. Spices like Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander and Garlic are recommended in cooking.
II Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures
1. Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
2. Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
3. Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk -once or twice a day.
III Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
1. Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
2. Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it out, then rinse it with warm water. This can be done once or twice a day.
IV During dry cough / sore throat
1. Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
2. Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
3. These remedies usually treat common dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as person’s convenient
These measures are recommended by following well known Vaidyas around the Country.
1. Padma Shri Vaidya P R Krishnakumar, Coimbatore
2. Padma Bhushan Vaidya Devendra Triguna, Delhi
3. Vaidya P M Varier, Kottakkal
4. Vaidya Jayant Devpujari, Nagpur
5. Vaidya Vinay Velankar, Thane
6. Vaidya B S Prasad, Belgaum
7. Padma Shri Vaidya Gurdeep Singh, Jamnagar
8. Acharya Balkrishna ji, Haridwar
9. Vaidya M S Baghel, Jaipur
10.Vaidya R B Dwivedi, Hardoi UP
11.Vaidya K N Dwivedi, Varanasi
12.Vaidya Rakesh Sharma, Chandigarh
13.Vaidya Abichal Chattopadhyay, Kolkata
14.Vaidya Tanuja Nesari, Delhi
15.Vaidya Sanjeev Sharma, Jaipur
16.Vaidya Anup Thakar, Jamnagar
Disclaimer: The above advisory (Immunity boosting measures) does not claim to be treatment for COVID 19.